The American Advertising Federation has scheduled some very exciting programs this year and we wanted to make sure you marked your calendar for these upcoming activities. You can find more information about these and other programs on the AAF web site at http://www.aaf.org/.
AAF Calendar of Events 2007
Mosaic Career Fair
March 8, 2007
Advertising Hall of Fame Luncheon
March 20, 2007
New York, N.Y.
Mosaic Career Fair
March 29, 2007
Leo Burnett USA
Mosaic Career Fair
April 19, 2007
The Walt Disney Company
Universal City, Calif.
Joint Government Affairs Conference
May 2, 2007
AAF National Conference 2007
June 7–9, 2007
National Student Advertising Competition
June 7–8, 2007
June 9, 2007
October 18–19, 2007
AOL Media Networks
1101 Vermont Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20005-6306
Phone: (800) 999-2231
Fax: (202) 898-0159
As a member of your local advertising club you are also a member of the American Advertising Federation (AAF), the industry's largest and most representative organization of the advertising industry. Our membership represents corporate members, local advertising clubs and federations and college chapters. AAF is truly the "unifying voice for advertising."
Advertising Hall of Fame—The American Advertising Federation (AAF) proudly announces the election of seven advertising legends to the industry's highest honor:
* David Bell, chairman emeritus, Interpublic Group, for serving as one of advertising's most effective ambassadors and tirelessly leading industry organizations including the American Association of Advertising Agencies, Ad Council, Advertising Educational Foundation, AAF and National Advertising Review Council;
* Vincent T. Cullers, former president & CEO, Vince Cullers Group (1924–2003), for starting America's first African-American–owned full-service ad agency and essentially launching the multicultural marketing movement;
* Roquel "Billy" Davis, former music director & SVP, McCann Erickson (1932–2004), for creating song-form commercials including classics such as "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke," "It's the Real Thing," and "If You've Got the Time, We've Got the Beer";
* Bruce Gordon, former president, retail markets, Verizon, for establishing one of the most recognized brands in America, and generating $23 billion in annual revenues;
* Arthur Ochs "Punch" Sulzberger, chairman emeritus, The New York Times Company, for his unwavering commitment to quality journalism and thereby providing an effective and attractive environment for readers and advertisers;
* Stuart B. Upson, chairman emeritus, Saatchi & Saatchi, for perpetually building blue-chip brands including Toyota, Duracell and Wendy's, as well as creating pro bono campaigns such as McGruff the Crime Dog® for the National Crime Prevention Council;
* Bob Wehling, former global marketing and government relations officer, the Procter & Gamble Company, for building iconic brands such as Crest, Head & Shoulders, Scope and Secret while impacting the industry and society through family-friendly programming, children's issues and education.
The recipients will be officially inducted into the prestigious Advertising Hall of Fame at an awards luncheon Tuesday, March 20, at New York's Waldorf=Astoria hotel. To purchase a table or reserve an advertisement in the commemorative program, please contact Dee Dee Swartz at (800) 999-2231 or email@example.com@aaf.org. Advertisements must be reserved by February 23, 2007. Materials are due to the AAF by March 2, 2007. For more information on the Advertising Hall of Fame, please visit www.advertisinghalloffame.org.
AAF National Conference—This June, we will visit the past, celebrate the present and look to what the future holds. The AAF National Conference 2007 will be held in Louisville, Kentucky, from June 7–9, at the Marriott Louisville Downtown.
In three value-packed days, you'll experience remarkable professional development, network with club leaders and top executives and witness extraordinary concepts and creativity. This must-attend conference brings together 1,000 advertising professionals from all facets of the industry, including advertisers, ad agencies and media, to resolve critical business issues. The AAF National Conference 2007 will provide you with advertising solutions that address creativity, digital technologies and new media, areas that are rapidly reshaping the marketing playing field.
Our lineup of 50-plus speakers will include leaders and innovators, carefully selected to deliver cutting-edge business intelligence directly to you. Our professional development workshops will give you access to best practices and firsthand insights into creative business solutions. See the future of the industry in action with the National Student Advertising Competition, sponsored this year by the Coca-Cola Company. Celebrate professional achievements with the Salute to AAF Achievers and the prestigious ADDY® Awards. Maximize your club management skills through Club Leadership Workshops. And finally, gain access to leading advertising service providers through the Ad Expo 2007, the advertising industry's premier exhibition.
Where will be many opportunities for fun and relaxation, including:
* Thoroughbred racing at Churchill Downs
* Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum
* The Muhammad Ali Center
* The Frazier International History Museum.
* Walk to Fourth Street Live!
Early bird registration is now open! Visit the AAF Web site to see rates and to download the AAF National Conference 2007 registration form. And be sure to check back for exciting updates.
AAF Most Promising Minority Students Program—The AAF's 11th anniversary Most Promising Minority Students Program recognized 50 student finalists. This unique program connects the advertising industry with the nation's most talented young minority students. Each year, college seniors are nominated by their AAF college chapter advisers or AAF club/federation in recognition of their passion for advertising and outstanding achievements both in and outside the classroom. The Most Promising event is not only a chance to honor these students, but also a chance for them to learn more about their field of interest through career development workshops, networking, interviewing and industry immersion opportunities.
This year's event was held February 6–8, 2007, at the New York Athletic Club in New York City. The "Building Bridges for our Future Awards Luncheon" followed on February 7.
Some of the program's major sponsors included American Airlines and Verizon Communications. Top advertisers, media companies and agencies that actively recruited our students included BBDO, ESPN, Interpublic Group, The New York Times, and MTV Networks.
For more information or questions regarding the Most Promising Program, please contact Andrea Burnside at (800) 999-2231 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mosaic Career Fairs—The Mosaic Career Fairs allow students interested in advertising, marketing and communications to come together with recruiters from some of the nation's leading companies to learn about career opportunities in the advertising industry. Almost 200 students and over 30 recruiters have already registered to participate in the 2007 Mosaic Career Fairs.
The following is a list of the dates, sponsors and venues for this year's Mosaic Career Fairs:
* March 8, 2007: Gannett/USA TODAY, Gannett/USA TODAY Headquarters, McLean, Va.
* March 29, 2007: Leo Burnett USA, DePaul University at Lincoln Park's Student Center, Chicago, Ill.
* April 19, 2007: The Walt Disney Company, Sheraton Universal Hotel, Universal City, Calif.
For questions regarding the Mosaic Career Fairs, please contact Tricia McWilliams at (800) 999-2231 or email@example.com.
Student Conference—The National Student Conference is designed to provide students with the training and education necessary to enter into today's advertising industry. This two-day event includes panel discussions, renowned speakers, a Recruiters Expo and workshops on topics such as interviewing, résumé writing and portfolio development.
The 2007 Student Conference is sponsored by AOL Media Networks, Inc., and will be held October 18–19 at AOL Headquarters in Dulles, Va. Visit the Web site for transportation information as well as highlights from the 2004 and 2005 Student Conferences.
For questions regarding the Student Conference, please contact Tricia McWilliams at (800) 999-2231 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NSAC Update—The 2007 NSAC may be the largest competition ever. The Coca-Cola Company has challenged NSAC teams to create an integrated marketing campaign for Coca-Cola classic, the most popular and biggest-selling soft drink in history. Nearly 200 schools have expressed interest, and more than one district may send two teams to the national finals. If you have questions or are interested in judging one of the district competitions, please send contact Monika Ellis at (800) 999-2231 or email@example.com.
Government Report—The American Advertising Federation (AAF) had a busy year promoting to policy makers the value of advertising and warning of the dangers of restricting commercial speech. Recently, we published a summary of our activities in Congress and at the state level in a special issue of AAF Government Report. You can find the Year in Review here.
A new Congress and change of party control has brought numerous changes to committee memberships. We have made available membership lists of congressional committees important to advertising. These lists are available here.
It you have any questions or are interested in subscribing to AAF Government Report please contact Robert Kohlmeyer at (800) 999-2231 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
AAF MEMBER BENEFITS
AAF Job Bank— If you are looking to jump-start your career or are seeking channels to identify and recruit new talent, the AAF can help!
The AAF Job Bank, part of the Marketing Career Network, is a valuable benefit of your AAF membership, putting you directly in front of job seekers or employers in your industry.
For Job Seekers:
* Job search control—quickly and easily find relevant industry job listings and sign up for automatic e-mail notification of new jobs that match your criteria.
* Easy job application—apply online and create a password-protected account for managing your job search.
* Résumé posting—make your résumé available to employers in the industry, confidentially if you choose.
* Saved Jobs—come to the site and quickly save up to 100 jobs to a folder in your account so you come back to apply when you are ready.
* Incredible exposure for job listings—the largest audience of industry professionals, including the over 50,000 American Advertising Federation members, along with members of the American Marketing Association, the Promotion Marketing Association, the Business Marketing Association and the New York American Marketing Association.
* Higher quality candidates—by searching within the industry, you not only get a job seeker, but a player in the profession.
* Economical pricing—highly targeted advertising exposure for a very competitive, AAF-member price.
As an AAF member, you receive discounted rates using the AAF Job Bank. To get started, simply visit www.aaf.org/jobs. You'll be glad you did!
Discounts—As a member of the AAF, you are entitled to discounts on the AAF Visa Credit Card, Adweek, Brandweek, Mediaweek and Advertising Age magazines, FedEx shipping, Hertz rental cars, Mutual of Omaha insurance and more.
Go to www.aaf.org/discounts for details on all programs.
The club services department of the American Advertising Federation is here to assist you with leadership and club management questions, securing resources and information on AAF programs. Please call (800) 999-2231 or e-mail the following individuals:
Joanne Schecter, EVP – club services, email@example.com
Jeremy Hoders, director – club services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lucille Hill, database coordinator, email@example.com
American Advertising Federation, 1101 Vermont Ave, NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC, 20005