Jim “Mattress Mack” McIngvale is a Texas-grown phenomenon who knows how to “Save You Money, TODAY!” In 1981, Mack and his wife Linda started Gallery Furniture with five thousand dollars and a dream. Mack began television advertising early on and with his motto of “Early to bed, early to rise, ...
Jim “Mattress Mack” McIngvale is a Texas-grown phenomenon who knows how to “Save You Money, TODAY!”
In 1981, Mack and his wife Linda started Gallery Furniture with five thousand dollars and a dream. Mack began television advertising early on and with his motto of “Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise”, he quickly became a household name.
In 2009, Gallery Furniture opened a second store on Post Oak Blvd in the Houston Galleria area. This proved to be a blessing as Mack, Linda, and the entire Gallery Furniture family faced a horrific fire on May 21, 2009 at the flagship I-45 store location which destroyed the warehouse. By bringing their positive approach and “TODAY” philosophy to everything they do, Gallery Furniture re-built the “World’s Greatest Furniture Store” bigger and better than ever with a full Grand Opening less than four months later. With the expansion of the Galleria location and the re-build of his flagship store, Gallery features designs for every price point from the economical to the “over the top” throughout each store.
The triumph of Gallery Furniture is mostly attributed to Mack’s “do-whatever-it-takes” approach to pleasing the customer. With just 2 locations, Gallery Furniture sells the most furniture in the nation per square foot including furniture and sleep sets from designers such as Tempur-Pedic, Vi-Spring, Sealy, Mayo, United Leather, American Leather, Lane, Broyhill, HGTV Home Furniture Collection and so much more.
Mack’s strong work ethic is matched by his philanthropy and exceeded only by the commitment he has to his family. Past charitable contributions include:
• Annual Christmas give-away furnishing 30 households of furniture every year since 1983
• Helped start and continuously fund the KickStart Kids Program in Houston
• Furnished USO facilities around the world
• Hosted events for and donated to the Salvation Army
• Donated furniture to hundreds of teacher lounges in Houston area schools
• Helped to raise over $12 million dollars for the Bush/Clinton fund to aid those affected by the Tsunami in Southeast Asia and Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
• Underwrote YMCA playground at Reliant Stadium for Katrina Evacuees
• Housed several hundred evacuees during hurricane crisis
• Co-founded the Peace of Mind Foundation for those affected by Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
• One of the largest contributors to the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo
• Underwrote National OCF Conference held in Houston
• Instrumental in getting Meneger Clinic to move to Houston to provide mental health care to Houston by providing a $4 million dollar donation
• Furnished George Bush Presidential Library at Texas A&M
• Recipient of Mental Health Association Award in 2005
• Underwrote wolf exhibit for The Houston Zoo
• Built and paid for tennis facility at Yates High School
• Donated tennis racquets to inner city kids that would not otherwise have the opportunity to take tennis lessons
• Sole sponsor of Pilgrimage of Faith sending 500 kids and chaperons from the Galveston/Houston Catholic Dioceses to Rome
• Fed 25,000 people Thanksgiving dinner for several years
• Bought 10,000 toys for needy children, distributed during the holidays
• Large contributor to Baylor College of Medicine and Harvard Medical School
In addition to Gallery Furniture, Mack and Linda also own and operate Westside Tennis and Fitness and enjoy spending time with their three children James, Laura and Elizabeth and their grandchildren Sydney and James.